This is an amazing little recipe that you can use even as a great substitute on Christmas, serving one quail to each guest instead of making one single Roast for all the family.
8 Quails (gutted)
300gr (11oz) seedless grapes
2 garlic cloves
250 ml (8fl oz) grape juice
4tbsp olive oil (and extra for frying)
600g (1lb 5oz) peeled potatoes
about 150 ml (5fl oz) light chicken broth (maybe a little more so you are sure you have enough)
2 tbsp Brandy
Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C
2. Par-boil the potatoes for 10 minutes and leave to cool on a side
3. Take a very large Casserole (needs to be flameproof), big enough to hold all the quails in a single layer and pu the oil, let it heat on the stove at a medium heat.
4. Add the quails and fry them on all sides untill they are golden brown. Take out some of the oil with a spoon and save it for frying the potatoes.
5. Add the grapes, grape juice, garlic (press it slightly), salt and pepper and enough broth to come up to the side of the quails
6. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, then transfer the whole casserole in the oven (if it does not fit tranfer quails and juices in a smaller one no worries) and sprinkle the brandy on all. Roast uncovered for 12 minutes in the oven
7. Pan fry the pre-boiled potatoes in the quail oil.
8. To serve you should place the quails on the fried potatoes and sprinle the top with the grape sauce. You can either prepare every single plate or serve on a big serving plate.